Sweet Potato Muffins with Pecan Streusel
It’s that time of year again. After a summer of beautiful weather, temperatures have suddenly dropped. Which is good, because if the amount of pumpkin products in stores and restaurants over the past few weeks is any indication, fall has already arrived. I’m not quite ready to embrace fall in full force, but I am beginning to make the transition. Fall is one of my favorite times for baking. I love all the spices and making variations of the most popular ingredients: apple and pumpkin. But before I jump into those (they will be coming, trust me), I thought I’d start with some of my other favorite fall flavors.
The first is sweet potato. Maybe not the first thing that comes to your mind, but the color is spot-on for this time of year and sweet potato pairs very well with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. These are spices that invoke the holiday tastes we all love.
I found a recipe for sweet potato muffins with pecan streusel and I thought this would be a great way to start off my seasonal baking. They are seriously delicious and have a great slightly spicy flavor. The streusel with pecans, my favorite, gives the muffins just the right amount of sweetness.
The original recipe from Sugar Dish Me calls for leftover mashed sweet potatoes. If you have them to use, that’s fine. If not, they are easy to make either in the microwave or in a 400° oven for about 45 minutes – 1 hour. I used two sweet potatoes on the smaller side, and that worked out to just over the cup needed for the recipe.
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt, which works well as a substitute)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup baked sweet potato mash
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the Pecan Streusel Topping:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a standard muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl lightly beat the eggs. Add the sour cream (or Greek yogurt), oil, and sweet potato mash and stir well. Mix in the brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl crumble together the softened butter, chopped pecans, flour, and sugar. Sprinkle the topping over all the muffins.
- Bake for 18 – 20 mins.
Photos by Jessica McWeeney.